June 2020 Update:
- We are happy to report that Dr. Pastor Gerhard Hille will be serving at Martin Luther Church from middle of December 2020 until Summer 2021 as Interim Pastor sent by the EKD.
- We have starting the mask making project and have found some volunteers for cutting, ironing, distribution and sewing. We still need helpers for iron, more for sewing and especially elastics. Please contact Vicar Adam McComb email@example.com or Ariane Oelkrug.
- We have found a video team to help editing the Sunday Services. Thank you to our four volunteers and to Vicar Jordan Smith firstname.lastname@example.org for teaching the art of video.
- Our Martin Luther Church Day Care has received information that they would be in the second phase of re-opening, when it happens. Teresa (Supervisor) has been in the office a few times to start preparing. More information to come.
- Unfortunately we had to cancel both the picnic and Camp Lutherlyn. There will be a week of virtual camp games, activities, challenges happening to keep the camp spirit alive. (Aug 15-21, 2020)
- “Give Peas a Chance” project update: Seeds have been distributed and planted. Please show us what is happening in your garden/balcony/windowsill.
- We received a beautiful story from a former MLC member who speaks fondly of Family Weigelin. If you have any stories to share about Olaf and Else Weiglein, please send them to us.
May 2020 Update:
- Everything continues to be on-line. We are in talks with MPP Hogarth when and how we will be able to meet safely again.
- Sign up for Coffee or Lunch with Job- New Bible Talk on Zoom led by Vicar Jordan Smith (email@example.com), Wednesdays till June 24, 8:30 am and 12:15 pm
- Family Ceconi will leave for Berlin on the 29th of May 2020. What we need? Volunteers for renovations at the parsonage. Short term renters.
- Call process: all documents have been sent to the EKD and deemed very good. In June the application for a new pastor goes through the next higher level of approval. Our Oberkirchenrat Claudia Ostarek is very hopeful that we will receive agreement to start official search for a pastor in Germany.
- Our Interim Pastor is Pastor Steve Hoffard from Redeemer Lutheran Church with Vicar Silke Fahl leading the Martin Luther Church under his supervision.
- Our Canada Summer Jobs student has been approved by the federal government to work for MLC
- The best way to donate is PAR or by sending a cheque to the church office.
- We received donated seeds and are asked to be good stewards. If you have a garden, a small box on your balcony or in your apartment, please let us know to join the program. “Give Peas a Chance”
In you, O LORD, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame. In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me; incline your ear to me and save me. Be to me a rock of refuge, a strong fortress, to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress. – Psalm 71:1 -3
In this unprecedented time of pandemic — of fear, of anxiety, and of loneliness — we want you to know that you are not alone. The doors of our church might be locked, but our hearts and minds are open.
Renowned German theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer once wrote the following:
“The awareness of a spiritual tradition that reaches through the centuries gives one a certain feeling of security in the face of all transitory difficulties.”
Please know that Martin Luther Church continues to offer all of us this security through the following means:
- Sunday Video Devotions and ecumenical Lenten reflections on our YouTube Channel. Please subscribe and comment on our videos.
Weekly German Radio Devotions on our website and on Sundays at 9.30 a.m. live on CHLO Radio AM 530
- Virtual Sunday Coffee Hour at 11:00 am through Zoom
- Sunday School lessons on our website
- Corona-Care Calls- Volunteers are continuing to call you with more information and to understand your needs. Please provide us with your emergency contact person. Also, please share our information with this person to ensure we are able to help you.
- Virtual Coffee Shop Talk on Mondays, 7:00-9:00 pm through Zoom led by Vicar Silke Fahl
- A drop-in Prayer Request Wall in the Church Foyer and Virtual Prayer Circle on Wednesdays, 5:30-6:00 pm through Zoom led by Solveig Christina Voss
Help us help each other by remembering that we are all participants in a caring “spiritual tradition” by which we rely on our faith community to demonstrate compassion in the face of difficulties. If you would like to volunteer, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please phone or email us if we can help you in any way. Know that we care.
Martin Luther Church Office, email@example.com, (416) 251-8293